The most appreciated feature which people noticed in iOS 12 is the Parental Control. But there is another controlling option that people may not have noticed yet. The Screen Time feature which made the control over the device usage more convenient and comfortable. The Screen Time enables you to see which app you opened in your iOS device and how often you use it.
Apple Corporation recently releases the iOS 12 and the Screen Time feature in it is quite appreciative. The feature works on setting time limits for the apps and monitors the total time spent by a user on the device. If you think that your children or younger siblings are spending too much of time on the device instead of studying, then enabling the Screen Time feature will definitely going to help you. All you need to do is set up a daily time limit on an app, and when that running exceeds the limit, it will stop working anymore.
Many are trying to use the feature in their iOS device but enabling the Screen Time feature seems to be a hard task. The article will guide you the steps to enable the Screen Time feature in the new iOS 12 devices.
Here, how to enable screen time on iOS 12
Through iOS Device Settings
- Launch the Settings app on your iOS device.
- Select Screen Time Option.
- Now tap Turn On Screen Time option.
- Now, the feature will provide two options-
- Set this feature as a parent.
- Continue as a general user.
- Tap on Continue from the bottom of the box popped up.
Screen Time Passcode
Since the feature is about parental control, you can keep strict control of the apps and the device. Giving the Screen Time passcode protection will prevent the saved settings from any changes by another user.
- Go to the Settings and select Screen Time.
- Now, select the Use Screen Time Passcode.
- Enter a Passcode and tap to Confirm.
- Re-enter the Passcode to ensure the correct password.
- Now, only you are able to change the Screen Time settings.
- Launch the Settings apps in iPhone.
- Scroll down Screen Time.
- Now, go to the Downtime.
- Enter the Screen Time Passcode that you just created.
- Now turn on the Downtime toggle button. It will Green in color. Tap Start and End button to enter the time limit for the app.
- A Time Limit Reached screen will appear when you tap on an app.
- Here, you will see two options-
- Remind Me in 15 minutes.
- Ignore Limit For Today.
- Select either of the two.
- If you select the first option, then you have to enter the Passcode.
- Now, you can allow the apps during Downtime.
- Go to the Screen Time menu and select Always Allowed.
- Now, enter the Passcode.
- Tap the + or – button next to the apps to allow or delete from the list.
Setting up the limits
- Tap App Limits in the Screen Time menu.
- Enter the passcode to access.
- Tap Add Limit
- Now, you can select the categories of the apps.
- Set up a time limit on the apps and customize with days by tapping Customize Days.
Screen Time Syncing
The Screen Time will collect the data from all the iOS 12 devices which you used with the iCloud account. The synchronization enables you to keep an eye on the other devices. When you tap and open All Devices from the main Screen Time display, you can choose the Devices from the upper right corner of the Screen Time menu.
That’s it! You have successfully enabled the Screen Time to take control over the apps. Thanks to iCloud sync which allows you to inspect the other devices with the same iCloud account.
About us :
Mir Ariif is a self-professed security expert; he has been making the people aware of the security threats. His passion is to write about Cyber security, cryptography, malware, social engineering, internet and new media. He writes for Norton security products at norton.com/setup.